Friday, January 25, 2008

Is This Hand Played Well By Both Players?

Long time no post. I have been traveling all week and wanted to post a hand today from the one time I actually played during the week. It was a hand that I’ve seen from both sides and even thought I think I played it correctly, I wonder if my opponent also played it well or not.

Full Tilt Poker Game #4937048075: Table Chip Jett - $1/$2 Ante $0.20 - Limit Razz - 23:50:30 ET - 2008/01/20
Seat 1: thuy270 ($28.45)
Seat 2: spykes00 ($8.60)
Seat 7: pokerenthusiast ($35.45)
*** 3RD STREET ***
Dealt to thuy270 [3s]
Dealt to spykes00 [3h]
Dealt to pokerenthusiast [7h 6c] [Ad]
pokerenthusiast has 15 seconds left to act
pokerenthusiast completes it to $1
thuy270 has 15 seconds left to act
thuy270 raises to $2
spykes00 calls $2
nookles folds
pokerenthusiast calls $1

We prepare to see the next street. Thuy270 probably raised to isolate but also was called by spyke00. Thuy270 probably has three cards below my 7 which takes away some outs for me.

*** 4TH STREET ***
Dealt to thuy270 [3s] [Qc]
Dealt to spykes00 [3h] [Kh]
Dealt to pokerenthusiast [7h 6c Ad] [5c]
pokerenthusiast bets $1
thuy270 calls $1
spykes00 folds

I hit the 5 and take a nice lead. Many players will fold here vs. me because I play a tight game. I don’t see a problem with calling here if I am either player but spyke folds telling me he most likely had an 8 or worse behind.

*** 5TH STREET ***
Dealt to thuy270 [3s Qc] [Jh]
Dealt to pokerenthusiast [7h 6c Ad 5c] [5d]
thuy270 checks
pokerenthusiast bets $2
thuy270 calls $2

Now is the time I want to place pressure on my opponent. I am ahead here with my draw vs. his QJ even though I paired. I welcome his call.

*** 6TH STREET ***
Dealt to thuy270 [3s Qc Jh] [Jc]
Dealt to pokerenthusiast [7h 6c Ad 5c 5d] [Ac]
spykes00 adds $5
thuy270 checks
pokerenthusiast bets $2
thuy270 calls $2

Now I bricked but still have 24 outs minus two 3s. Other cards in the history were non-affecting to me. With 22 outs, I will raise this every time with 38 unknown cards out there. I am still favored in this hand if I do the math right.

*** 7TH STREET ***
Dealt to pokerenthusiast [7h 6c Ad 5c 5d Ac] [Td]
SirFWALGMan: I wish I actually knew how to play this game lol
thuy270 checks
pokerenthusiast bets $2
thuy270 calls $2

I hit my T and take the hand. Is this the correct line of thinking for me in the situation? My opponent is getting odds here but should he have gotten out?

I think in this situation I made the right play on all streets but with some minor changes it could be a mistake to use aggression. If he has 89 instead of QJ going into 7th I have to check call based on odds, it looks to be the same because the money equals out but the semantics of the situation are much different.

It really comes down to the question of his call on 5th and 6th street. Will he make money making that play in the long run?


*** SHOW DOWN ***
pokerenthusiast shows [Td 7h Ad 5c 5d Ac 6c] T,7,6,5,A
pokerenthusiast wins the pot ($20.25) with T,7,6,5,A
SirFWALGMan: I mean I thought QJJ was a bad hand or something

If Waffles made fun of his call he must have done it wrong.

2 comments:

SirFWALGMan said...

Thuy is a constant donator on the Razz tables. nuff said.

Mark Gritter said...

I don't think his 5th-street call can be profitable.

There is, what, $8.60 in the pot? So he is getting a bit over 5:1 odds to call on that street, which would be OK; he could be nearly 30% to win (and of course much more in the unlikely event that you have a 5 down).

But, he is actually going to have to call two or three big bets to win, with makes his effective odds something like 6:2 or 7:3, and the latter doesn't look good at all.